This model of retirement-age community living is a global one. There are over 1100 Abbeyfield Houses around the world designed to provide safety and comfort for seniors who no longer wish to maintain their own home. Click here to learn more about the Abbeyfield Society.
Abbeyfield House Dominion City is a beautiful spacious home located in the heart of a small, peaceful rural community in the Emerson-Franklin Municipality.
Design and Amenities at Abbeyfield House Dominion City:
- A raised bungalow style multi-family home
- Ten suites – four bachelor style and six, one bedroom suites
- Bachelor suites are all 290 square feet
- One bedroom units are 350, 408, and 418 square feet
- All suites contain a bathroom which are fully accessible with barrier free showers, bar style cabinetry with a sink, bar fridge and microwave, closet space, and a modest living room (ample room for couch and chair)
- A locker space is provided in the lower level adding about 25 square feet of storage on a per suite basis
- The main floor contains a common kitchen, common dining area, resident lounge, large pantry, janitor room, laundry room, and a separate vestibule going to a covered, raised veranda.
- The fully finished lower level includes a guest suite, large game room for activities and family events, craft room, hobby room, possible homecare office, manager’s office, locker room, and general storage room. With the lower level being only 4-5 feet below grade, it allows for maximum natural light.
- The home is fully accessible as per Manitoba Housing requirements with barrier free washrooms, door frames, halls, exterior ramp, and lift to the lower level. It is also Manitoba Hydro Power Smart compliant.
- With each suite, plus the common areas on the main floor and in the lower level, residents are afforded approx. 3,300 square feet of living space.